Friday, November 04, 2005

Gruntin', Tootin', and Sleepin'

(2005) Gruntin', Tootin', and Sleepin'….what a life. And for me this happens everyday. To most men, this may sound like a description of some place just outside of heaven; a place where you can lay back, let your hair down and let it all out.

But, I'm not talking about some men's getaway fantasy island. No, the place where these events are as common as a democratic fraction speaking out against a conservative movement is my own home. Home sweet home has become a place of sounds and activity only a true man could respect and admire.

All thanks to Sidney and Chloe, my ten week old, twin daughters.

I've never heard such commotion from such little girls. I never knew they had it in them…and boy do they! Whew. Let me tell you. Just when you can't nearly handle anymore grunting, wiggling or crying, they let a toot sneak out and it'll run they strongest of noses out of the room. Even our Boxer, Sam, who has his own terrible variation of such things, leaves the room. It's bad. Real bad.

What a life. To be able so sleep 20 hours of the day, eat every 2 to 3 hours, stretch and grunt for 20 minutes after waking and toot all at the same time. How is it that we go from such simplicity, to such overbearing complexity as adults?

I long for the day when life is simply about living. Sure, life for us as adults is about raising a family, seeking God, paying our taxes, being a friend, some entertainment, education, and career. But won't it be great when all that we have set out to accomplish in life becomes meaningless and life itself returns to form? Finally, we will be able to relax, take a deep breath and thank God for making such a place. I'm not sure that gruntin', tootin' and sleepin' is what we will really do when we step into eternity, but if it's the next best thing to Heaven, I can't imagine just all that God has in store for us when we get there.

My girls have it made, at least for now. Life here waits for them someday. For now, I plan to help them enjoy every minute of life as they know it now. Let's be honest….I can grunt, toot and sleep with the best of them.

The house is gonna be quiet the next few days. Julie is taking the girls to Tyler this weekend; another short road trip to see Grammy and Papa Jack. I have to work, so I'll maintain the fort here at home. It just won't be the same. It'll be up to me and the dogs to fill in for the gruntin', tootin', sleepin' machines.

We're gonna miss them, but I think we will manage just fine.


"Jesus called a small child over to him and put the child among them. Then he said, 'I assure you, unless you turn from your sins and become as little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. Therefore, anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.'" Matthew 18-2-5



© 2005, J. Brady

"I say it how I see it and I make no bones about it."

No comments: