Friday, October 01, 2010

The Great Game

When I hear the voice of Milo Hamilton I’m immediately thrown back in time to one of the greatest childhood memories I have; coming home from an Astros baseball game with dad listening to the final innings over the AM dial.

Living south of Houston most of my childhood, dad would take me to a nice handful of games each year at the huge Astrodome. It always seemed I would get a gift as I walked in ranging from free hats, small bats, baseballs and such, some of which I now hold in my sports collection. As the games would get late, we would leave early knowing it was usually a school night and a 45 minute drive was ahead of us. Milo Hamilton kept us informed of the action we missed and eventually I fell asleep.

There is just something magical about baseball games.

Now as a parent, I am getting joy of doing the same for my three kids as dad did for me, taking them to see the Texas Rangers at the Ballpark in Arlington. Watching them cheer “Let’s go Rangers! (clap…clap…clap, clap, clap!), seeing them munch down on cotton candy, hoping “red” wins the dot race, and them asking all about the happenings during the game brings me the same joy my dad must have felt way back when.

Kids love games and baseball keeps it simple and real. A ball, a glove and a bat. And nothing is better than sitting out in the stands during a 75 degree evening cheering on the home team. The sounds of “ice, cold beer!”, “peanuts!”, and the smells of hotdogs and nachos stick in the mind for ages.

I still get down to Houston for an Astros game at least once a year. Though I usually go alone, I sit with a smile on my face cheering like I was 10 years old thinking about those nights with dad and Milo talking us home. At the age of 38 my Astros finally won the National League pennant and made it to the World Series. I can only hope our Rangers go all the way for my kiddos a little faster than the 30+ years it took Houston.

It’s said baseball is truly America’s Pastime and I have to say I completely agree. Nothing is more true. God gave us something special when we invented it over 100 years ago.

It’s a great way, to have a great time…at the great game!



"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24


© 2010, J. Brady


”I say it how I see it and I make no bones about it."

No comments: