Monday, September 27, 2010

The Love of Money

I have to admit it. I love me some cold hard cash. Always have. Since I was 15 and learned the lesson of working hard for myself in lawncare and stock piling the green stuff in a glass jar, I knew it didn’t buy happiness, but it sure bought baseball cards, bubble gum and Atari games.

Money makes the world go ‘round. Right? Well, sadly, it does require money to keep the lights on, to feed the family and to support God’s work around the world.

The problem for most of us of course, there never seems to be enough of it. The money runs out before the month, the debts pile high and Benjamin Franklins can be more elusive than Bigfoot.

Personally, I have experienced both the days of much and the days of little. God has used both to show me truths about life and about His provision. I know both wealthy people and poor people that love God more in ways that inspire me.

Whatever your current financial lot in life, you can know God will provide. He will meet our needs for food, shelter, clothing and most importantly joy. Life isn’t about what you can buy, where you can go or what you can do. Life is about who you are and who you spend it with.

Sure having a little excess in the money department makes life a little easier to deal with. But knowing God is on your side makes life good and peaceful even when the account is below zero.

Cold, hard cash really isn’t the root of all evil.

It’s the LOVE of money that’s the problem.



“Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have.” Hebrews 13:5


© 2010, J. Brady

”I say it how I see it and I make no bones about it."

No comments: