Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cowboys All About Profits

There just aren’t many bigger Dallas Cowboys fans than me. I have shrines celebrating Cowboys history in my home office as well as my main office. I worked part-time for the team back in the early 90s just so I could go to games for free. I go to training camp for a few days by myself just to study and prepare for the season. I owned a suite at one time and I’ve had season tickets since the early 2000s.

But at the end of last year I came to this reality: Jerry Jones has substituted winning for profits and ruined my team.

In the last 246 games, the team has gone 123-123 under his ownership and direction as the general manager. We have won one playoff game since 1996 much less sniff a SuperBowl.

The Cowboys now offer a mediocre product for the highest price and Jones is laughing all the way to the bank. The pride of the Schramm and Landry days are long gone. Even Jimmy Johnson is an old memory now. Put it this way, teams like the Raiders, Seahawks and Saints have won more in the last decade than we have and all three of those have been to a SuperBowl!

In any other real business world, a company that couldn’t improve its services or products for nearly two decades wouldn’t last even a few years. Yet Cowboys fans like me keep drinking the cool-aid in hopes one days Jones’ idiocy will win anyway.

I sent Jones a letter telling him goodbye last year and explained the above to him in clear detail. Now I go to a few games a year and buy some other schmucks tickets instead for about 1/5th the price.

If he cared so much about winning he would realize he is the common denominator each year and he would remove himself from personnel and team moves. I feel bad for the players and coaches to be honest.

Needless to say I am bitter about the whole thing. Can you tell? I love football and I love my Cowboys. It is my drug. Instead of hard working players eager to please and scared of losing their incomes, Jones and the NFL in general have created a money making monster of unreal proportions. Even the famed pink “Breast Cancer Awareness” push each year is more about money than the sad disease.

Maybe one day things will change. If not, I can only pray and hope my favorite time of the year ends with a Cowboys team finding a way to rise above blandness and win something on accident.

Because until it hits Jerry in the pocketbook; cash will be king.

Winning isn’t even on tap.


"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil…” I Timothy 6:10



(c) 2012, J. Brady

"I say it how I see it and make no bones about it.”

No comments: