Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Chasing Squirrels

(2005) Dogs. One of the greatest creations God ever came up with. A true expression of His love for us. Actually, all animals are incredible examples of God's creativity and love, but there's just something about a dog.

Dogs can teach us so much about ourselves, caring for another, forgiveness and love. They wag their tails after being abused. They' lick your face when you're sad. They give you "hugs" and "cuddle" with you when you're tired or stressed. They apologize in their own weird way when they've done something wrong and know it. They run around like mad when you come home....every time, even if it's only been a few minutes or hours. They only cry or whimper when the pain is strong and unbearable. They know no stranger; everyone is a friend. They protect and defend. But best of all, when everyone else has left you, a dog will be there with a smile on his tail.

But...they don't live real long.

Some may say it's silly to be sad when your family dog dies. It's not. It's real and it hurts and unless you're not human, you feel it hard. Dogs are a part of the family.

Our pastor and his family lost their precious pal "Buffy" and he cried from the pulpit the next Sunday. Buffy had been a part of their family for many, many years. I never met the pup but I know how he feels.

My best friend lost his buddy "Brandon" years ago to an illness. He filmed a final tribute video the day they had to put him asleep. I remember him calling me in tears about it that night. He's never watched the video either. It stays in a box.

My family lost our Chihuahua mix "Sandy" while I was away in college. She joined the family as a puppy by following me home across the street when I was a kid. She lived for 19 long, fun years, but I never got to say goodbye. I still miss the times of her growling like a Lion when anyone got near her food.

Well, Ashley, a fun, loving dog with black hair and a great personality, was my wife's family dog for over 14 years and she died today. Since Julie was 16 Ashley roamed their home offering a sniff or lick and being a happy presence in the home. If not that, she was roaming the backyard looking for mystery squirrels to chase, or sniffing out trouble on the few streets around them. She was funny in the few short years I got to play with her. I'd say, "Stop breathing Ashley!" if she was panting. She'd close her mouth and stop, looking at me like, "Uhh. Ok. Not sure just why...but I will". It cracked me up.

In her old age she had some pain. She had spotty hair, arthritis and tumors, but she still enjoyed just hanging out. Though dad kept her shaved like some canine cancer patient, she'd still do her best to play and live a dogs life. One thing was for sure. She always bounded out of the house when we visited to see Julie, her lifelong pal. Her nub of a tail would go crazy with joy from seeing her again.

Dogs just love. That's what they're here for.

Some Christians say our dogs have no souls and simply die and return to the dust. But, I have a different way of looking at it. I see animals as God's creative expression to man of His love. Especially dogs. It only fits the character of God to throw them in as an extra joy of life in heaven. It would be "so God" as they say. Even the Word hints that animals will be in heaven waiting on us. Surely dogs will be there, with tails a waggin'. Julie and I share two great dogs together today, Max and Sam. They never cease to entertain or amaze us either.

There's just a whole lot we can learn from dogs.

I know we learned allot from Ashley. I can't wait to see her bounding for us again. I believe we will because I believe she's already there.

I just hope there are squirrels for her to chase. Otherwise, she might get bored waiting.

"He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air." Acts 10-11-13

© 2005, J. Brady
"I say it as I see it and I make no bones about it."

No comments: