Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Chill Out

(2005) It's hard to admit, but sometimes I'm just a little too uptight about things. I know that's a shocker, but it is true.

I mean life is fun and all, but aren't we supposed to be serious, hard workers, people who don't have time to stand around and chat about meaningless things like how dumb, yet funny, the movie "Napoleon Dynamite" is? I mean come on! We've got things to do, people to see, bills to pay, tears to cry, and dreams to accomplish. Let's get with it!

Yea, well, when you get a little older, somewhere around the age of 35, things suddenly do slow down and you begin to see things little differently. See, each of our lives should be taken seriously and as if we've been given a mission to accomplish, cause we have. Yet, at the same time, God put us here on this earth for a short period of time with two main purposes. One, spread His love, two, enjoy the lives He has given us.

I know for me, sometimes I lose sight of both. As I've gotten older I've noticed it's easier to become more worried about money, illness, or death. Or, I can find myself spending too much time wondering "why this" or "why that" or simply missing the "good old days" of the past.
God didn't spend His energy and time forming the earth and all it's creatures just for the heck of it. He didn't spend his creativity putting together mankind just so we would carelessly live life. No, He gave us this place to live and the bodies we have for our enjoyment, cause that's the kind of God we serve. Like a father wants his child to have all that they can, God wants even more for us.

He wants us to slow down, take a load off, and look around. Life is to be enjoyed and should be simple. There are times we need to be focused. Times we need to be on our knees in prayer or worship. Yet, most of our time is spent in the mundane - in the rat race of life - and if we are not careful, we will lose the thrill of all He intended. Even Solomon struggled with this. At first glance he determined life itself was meaningless. "What's the point?" he argued. "To live only to die a short time later?". Yet, He too soon realized what God was whispering in his ears. Can you hear Him? He's still speaking today....

"I want you to loosen up, trust me and live life to its fullest. Enjoy your friends. Enjoy your family. Have fun seeing the world and eating new foods. Catch a funny movie, see a play or attend a good concert. Play with your dogs and rub their faces. I wouldn't have created them if I didn't know how they make you feel. Kiss your wife and tell her she's the best cause I made her just for you. Love on your kids everyday. Your days here are too short to miss one. Work hard during the day and earn as much as you can. Your dreams are only limited by what you decide I can help you do. Tell someone about the love of God and all I have given you. Give a little. Give a little more. I've given everything for you. Serve those around you. Pay your taxes with a smile. Even Jesus paid His. Save as much as you can, but enjoy what you can too. Crank up the rock and roll and dance a little. Music is good for the heart and soothes the soul. I designed it to work that way. Eat alot but eat good. You'll need the practice cause you'll be dining with me forever. It's ok to have pizza or a bowl of Blue Bell here and there. Trust me, I know exactly where Blue Bell is made! Workout and stay healthy. Be thankful and don't worry. Have a massage if you need one. Cheer on those Cowboys, Mavs and Rangers cause I am too. Think, but don't think too much or you'll get trapped by the devil's own lies. Go see the mountains, the ocean or the plains. Travel as much as you can. I created it all just for you to see. Be involved in your community. Be patriotic. Let tears form in your eyes when you hear the national anthem. Vote. It should matter to you cause it matters to me. Pray for people. Support those in need. Be available. Enjoy your favorite TV shows, just be careful what you watch. Have fun driving your cars, flying in your planes or boating around the lake. I smile when you do. Just be joyful and happy. That will lead more people to my love than just about anything you can say or do."

Do you hear Him? I do.

It's doesn't have to be tiresome and meaningless. It's up to us to make it enjoyable and meaningful.

I'm gonna start today, how about you?

"Be Still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

(c) 2005, J. Brady
"I say it as I see it and I make no bones about it."

No comments: