Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Find the Right Solution

(1999) They say you become like those you hang around. The company you keep produces the kind of character you'll be. Studies even support this idea and give some reason to believe the entire premise; that you're likely to be guilty by some form of association.

The question for us is just what will we be guilty of?

Will we be guilty of running the race with the spiritually blind? Will we be guilty of standing on the fence living by few moral standards with the rest of the world? Will we be guilty of watching the game from the stands or will we simply leave the ticket we've been given at home and casually find something else to do?

What will you, and what will I, be convicted of?

I spent many hours over this last holiday weekend with an incredible friend that challenged me in many ways. She lives by standards we all should adhere to. We talked about God and His desires to see our lives become more like Him. We discussed right and wrong and when and where lines need to be drawn. We talked about our desires to move on past issues in our lives and start walking down the right path once again. We talked about today's Christians and how so many seem careless, apathetic and overwhelmed with problems, struggles and life issues.

Then it hit me. We've been guilty by association.

Misery loves company and so many times in my own life, I've seen myself gravitate towards people rather than God. "Oh, I have this problem. Let me run over here, talk to him, talk to her and hang out with someone like me. Maybe they can help me get it together. If not, at least they'll know how I feel."

Let's just be honest. Many times we choose to be around those who help justify our actions and our ways. We'd rather remain the same than to be with God be truly be renewed and refreshed. Face it, we're afraid if we change we'll lose the identity we have that we've spent a lifetime creating.

But my friends, court is about in session and your problems, issues and fears aren't going to give you the freedom you're hungry for. It's time we be with the very One who can change us from the outside in and from the inside out.

Be guilty alright. But be guilty of focusing not on the problems, but on the solution - Jesus Christ Himself.

If He created the world and His radiance alone could make the lame walk, the blind see and the hurting joyful again, what will happen to you and me when we find ourselves with Him and in His presence day in and day out?

Makes me wonder. What will we be guilty of then?

Hhmm. Just maybe we'll actually be guilty of being like Jesus.

What an interesting concept.


"After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with Him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them. His clothes become dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them." Mark 9:2-3

(c) 1999, J. Brady
"I say it as I see it and I make no bones about it."

No comments: