Saturday, July 02, 2005

My First Child Was a Dog


(2005) If you've never been to the SPCA (a local shelter for dogs and cats in the DFW area) then be prepared to take a cat or dog home if you do. That's exactly what happened to me in 1999.

I had been thinking about adding to my family at the time. I was single but dating and thought a neat little dog would help me adjust my life around taking care of something. Mom had told me I had a self-centered life and needed to learn about taking care of someone besides me. I agreed.

I had no idea what I was about to get into. Thanks mom.

Upon visiting the SPCA that day I walked in a saw this cute little black dog sitting in cage. He saw me and started whimpering. They told me he was a Jack Russell mix and that he had been found outside in the rain near Longview. Apparently he was abused by his owners and they decided to drop him off in the rain along a highway. How sad. I thought he was cute but I still wanted to look around. I liked this other red haired dog too.

As I prepared to walk out I looked over and again saw this cute little black dog staring at me. He whimpered again, wagged his tail and gave me this look that said, "I'm not gonna make it if you don't get me outta here." With the passed down, family trait "sucker" written on my forehead (thanks dad), I gave in.

On the way home, I decided I needed to make my first stop at the local pet supply store. The SPCA had put the dog in this carry box, if you will, with a handle on the top. It had little holes in it so he could see out and breathe. I left him in the box in the front seat as I ran in. He didn't seem to like being in there too much but I'd only be gone a second.

Well, I came back to find the dog sitting in the front seat waiting on me with this silly grin on his face. He had literally shredded that box from the inside out into a million little pieces that were now all over my car! He did all of this in less than 10 minutes. Yep, life as I had known it was about to change...

That was the beginning of things with my first "child". He would provide me many more stories, laughter and worry over the years to come. But, I'm glad the SPCA rescued this "little black dog" for me.

He became my best friend. I named him Max.

Colossians 1:22 "...yet now He has brought you back as His friends. He has done this through His death on the cross in His own human body. As a result, He has brought you into the very presence of God, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before Him without a single fault.

(c) 2005, J. Brady
"I say it as I see it and I make no bones about it."

No comments: